About six months ago I had a lofty, if unoriginal, idea. I wanted to do a blog about Nintendo, a gaming company whose products I’d been playing with since I was 6 years old.
But, what should I do with a blog about Nintendo?
At first, I thought that news and analysis of the company and its products was the way to go, regardless of the fact there was already a glut of Nintendo-related information on the Internet and dozens upon dozens of websites and blogs dedicated to spewing out news bits as they broke.
I’m one guy with a job and a family. I don’t have time to compete, and quite frankly the benefits of doing so are very limited.
For a brief moment, I thought analysis might be a more relaxed way to go. I’ve watched the video game industry for years, and if you know anything about analysts, that’s about 80 percent of the qualifying criteria. Luck and the ability to be coherent make up the remaining 20 percent. However, it seems to me a blog dedicated to analysis would be full of the kind of blowhard nonsense gamers love to hate. Let’s face it, we all have our preferences when it comes to gaming consoles and video games.
So today I find the best way to shift the focus of this blog is to simply write about what I know. I’m a gamer, a dedicated fan of Nintendo platforms (though not a fanboy), and I have a wealth of gaming memories and casual opinions on Nintendo topics that I can use to relate to other people. Hence, that’s what I’m going to do.
The Nintendo Wire ceases to be about hard gaming news, and will instead focus on the aspects of gaming that brings a lot of people together.
I hope you’ll find this new direction as refreshing as I will.